Get Help Now
Need Help? (802) 442-5491

Shared Living

The Shared Living Program helps people with developmental disabilities be part of their community.

You can open your home to someone with a developmental disability. It’s an opportunity that benefits everyone! Here’s how it works:

Are you a stay at home mom or dad? Have you been a caregiver, nursing professional, or teacher? Have you been a coach or scout leader? Do you want to help others?

UCS Shared Living is seeking individuals, couples and families who reside in Bennington County, or in nearby towns in New York, to provide caring homes, or be a roommate, for individuals with developmental disabilities.

We are also looking for homeowners with mother-in-law apartments and who can provide support for individuals with greater independence.


UCS provides:

  • training
  • supervision
  • monthly room and board
  • tax-free income
  • respite hours for necessary breaks

For more information, call Kimberly Lachant at 442-5491, ext. 323. Or email Kimberly at

Being a home provider is an opportunity to make a difference in someone’s life!

Link to ARIS Solutions

Shared Living FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Who needs homes and why?
Individuals needing homes have developmental disabilities. They usually need help with activities of daily living, obtaining medical care and accessing the community. Family are no longer able to care for them and living in a home environment benefits them best.

What do I need to know to be a Shared Living provider?
Experience as a caregiver is a plus and we meet many providers who have worked as nursing professionals, teachers, and foster care parents, but having worked professionally is not a requirement. People who are patient, flexible willing to share and willing to learn are needed most. Shared Living providers receive training and have available to them a team of others to help support the individual they care for.

Who else supports the individual?
All clients have a case manager who has regular contact with the Shared Living provider. In addition, an individual may have Community Supports, spending time in the community and if employed, an employment support person to help them with their job. All individuals have medical providers for their primary care, dental care and other needs. We also have a full time nurse who is available for medical consultation.

Are Shared living providers paid?
Yes. Shared Living providers are paid a tax free payment on a monthly basis. In addition, monthly room and board is paid. Shared Living providers are contractors and not employees, so do not receive any benefits. Respite hours are budgeted however to allow for providers to have necessary breaks.